Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Inyo County Superior Court is organized into several divisions that handle different legal matters. Please select from one of the divisions below.

  • Appeals

    A non-prevailing party in a case may ask a higher court to review the decision in their case and determine if the decision was correct. They may do this by filing an appeal or, in some instances, a writ. 

  • Civil

    The Civil Division of the court handles cases where one party sues another to recover money or property, enforce a contract, collect damages, or protect civil rights. Petitions to change names and other matters are also handled here.

  • Criminal

    A criminal case is a proceeding in which someone is charged with a public offense (i.e., with committing a crime), evidence is presented on both sides, and a decision is made as to the person's guilt.

  • Family Law

    Family Court Services serves a variety of legal processes including divorce, separation, etc.; Custody and Guardianship, Child Support, Adoption and Domestic Violence protections and restraining orders.

  • Juvenile

    Juvenile Delinquency cases are defined under Welfare and Institutions Codes and involve any persons under the age of 18 (minors) who are accused of violations of any law of the state or of the United States, or minors who are habitually disobedient or truant.

  • Probate & Conservatorship

    Probate and Conservatorship matters address a person’s finances upon death or the care of an adult person that is unable to care for themselves or their finances. Probate cases address a person’s estate, resolve debts, and distribute the remaining property/monies to heirs or beneficiaries. Conservatorship cases appoint caregivers to care for a person and their finances.

  • Small Claims & Unlawful Detainers

    Small claims cases are lawsuits that do not exceed $7,500 and are resolved quickly and inexpensively with relatively simple and informal rules.

    An unlawful detainer matter is a case in which a landlord seeks to evict a tenant.

  • Traffic

    The Traffic Division handles only Infraction matters for Traffic violations, Fish & Game violations, local city and county ordinances, boating, and dog/animal citations. Note: driving under the influence (DUI) violations are handled through the Criminal Division.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.