Domestic Violence Information
The Self-Help Center will help people who do not have lawyers in applying for and responding to domestic violence restraining orders. The Self-Help Center will provide instructions on how to complete the court forms, filing at the court, arranging for proper service on the other side, and preparing for your court hearing.
A domestic violence restraining order is a Court order issued to prevent the recurrence of acts of abuse by a person who is any of the following to you:
- spouse or former spouse
- boyfriend/girlfriend or former boyfriend/girlfriend
- other parent of your children
- father, mother, child, grandparent, brother, sister
- current in-laws (if you have divorced your spouse, then you cannot seek a domestic violence restraining order against any former in-laws)
Electronic filing is available for Domestic Violence Restraining Orders and Gun Violence Restraining Orders.
- Domestic Violence and Gun Violence filings may be submitted by email as PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate whether you wish to have your filed documents returned to you by email or would like to pick them up at the clerk's office. For questions regarding electronic filing, please email email@example.com or call (760) 872-4518 or (760) 872-3038.
- Filings may also be submitted in-person at the Bishop or Independence clerk's offices Monday through Friday from 8:30am to noon, and 1:00pm to 4:00pm, by drop box located in either clerk's office, or by mail.
- Civil Harassment and other restraining orders cannot be submitted by email. They must be submitted in-person, by drop box, or by mail.
Additional Resources for Restraining Orders:
Use a free on-line program that will help you complete your court forms at https://www.courts.ca.gov/partners/3334.htm
Get step-by-step instructions that will walk you through the process of applying for or responding to a domestic violence restraining order at https://www.courts.ca.gov/1264.htm (to ask for a restraining order), or at https://www.courts.ca.gov/1265.htm (to respond to a restraining order)
Other agencies that may be able to help: Wild Iris (760-873-6601); R.A.V.E. (Relief After Violent Encounters 760-873-9018); Inter-Tribal Council of California Victim Services (760-666-0069)