Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Inyo's Self-Help Center & Family Law Facilitator

Self-Help Center

The Inyo Superior Court offers a free Self Help Center (SHC) to assist self-represented customers with a variety of basic legal issues.

What We Help With:

  • Child Custody and Visitation Orders (modification)
  • Child and Spousal Support Orders (modification)
  • Civil Restraining Orders
  • Department of Child Support Services
  • Divorce & Legal Separation
  • Establishment of Paternity
  • Guardianships (person only)
  • Step-Parent Adoptions
  • Name Changes
  • Residential Evictions
  • Small Claims
  • Non-Probate Transfers of Property
  • Expungement

Assistance Available By:

Walk-in, telephone, e-mail, mail.  Remote services available by appointment every Friday through phone or Zoom. 

Reference and Educational Materials:

Checklists for completing and filing court forms, self-help forms, self-help books, computer access to legal forms and programs, local attorney lists, and reference lists for community resources and organizations.

Visiting the Family Law Facilitator

A Family Law Facilitator is an attorney appointed by the Court to assist parents in resolving child support, and health insurance issues that arise when the parents separate. Although the Facilitator can help everyone, priority is given to those parents who can not afford to hire an attorney. If the Facilitator has time, they can help with other family law problems the parents may have.

The Facilitator CAN: explain the Court process to you, mediate disputes about child custody and spousal support, help you prepare for Court, prepare Court Orders after your hearing, refer you to the District Attorney's Family Support Division and other community resources, answer other family law questions that you may have and provide you with information on how to handle the important issues of child support, spousal support, paternity, custody and visitation.

The Facilitator CANNOT: represent you in Court or give you legal advise regarding your particular case.

For your meeting with the Facilitator, you must bring:

  • A copy of any Court documents relating to your case
  • Income and expense information
  • Your last three paycheck stubs, or AFDC invoice
  • A copy of your last tax return

Upon arrival, you will be asked to fill in an Intake Form. If you need to fill out forms to proceed with your case, you may obtain these from the Facilitator. The Facilitator has instructional material that will show you how to fill out these forms.

If you need legal advice, the Facilitator will assist you in finding an attorney to help you.

Was this helpful?